It’s that time of year again. Yep, you guessed it—time for The Bug Man to come out and inspect for termites. While termites are active year-round, most subterranean termites tend to swarm in the spring and summer months here in Louisiana. However, with all the recent rain and flooding making wood structures a breeding ground for an infestation, it’s never been more important to have your home or business inspected for these pests.
When there is this amount of moisture, termite colonies are constantly looking for new sources of food. It’s essential to take proactive measures to prevent termites from destroying something you try so hard to protect.
Here are some helpful tips to help safeguard your property:
- Store firewood away from your home. Place it in a dry area.
- Don’t allow water to pool next to the slab or under your home or business. Create ways to help the water drain away.
- Trim your tree limbs and vines that may be growing near or on your home.
- If you have any leaks in your pipes, roof or outside faucets, have them repaired or replaced.
- Repair any rotting wood on the soffit, fascia and exterior wood surfaces.
- Clean the gutters on your home and repair any sections that may be damaged.
- Make sure to turn off outside lights at night. Consider using yellow bulbs to avoid attracting swarming termites.
- Call The Bug Man to get rid of them.
Take a look around your structure and look for mud tubes on slabs, piers, or walls and pinholes in wallboards, softness in flooring or blisters in paint or wallpaper. If you see any of these signs, there’s a good chance you’re dealing with a termite infestation. They can and will destroy if not dealt with in a timely manner. If you need help with your termite problem or to schedule an inspection, give The Bug Man a call at 225-923-2847.