Today we are focusing on some unusual services that we offer here at The Bug Man. In addition to protecting you against roaches and fleas and pesky mosquitos, we also provide a service called Nuisance Animal Control. This is a topic that several of our clients have asked me questions about lately so its fresh on my mind. I am a firm believer that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. This is especially true when it comes to Nuisance Animals like raccoons and snakes and nutria around your home. KEEP AWAY!! These little critters are seen in neighborhoods all throughout Baton Rouge…and who wants to deal with that mess? We are here to help you prevent these animals from invading your home to ensure that you have one less thing to worry about. And well…. if you are reading this and you DO have a problem, I know a guy.
Over the past several years, we have seen an increase in nuisance wildlife in our neighborhoods in southeast Louisiana, so much so that we had a need to open a Nuisance Animal Division in our pest control department to provide animal trapping of these critters. If you notice any critters creeping around your home, here are some tips to prevent them from coming back:
- Keep trash properly contained. Keep tight lids or latches on the lids.
- Pet food needs to be brought indoors.
- Remove bird feeders from around your property. I know, I know.. I hate to be a downer. They are beautiful; however, they are also a huge attraction to rodents and animals.
- Keep tree limbs and branches away from your home so animals and rodents don’t have an easy path right to your roof.
- Close openings around the home where animals could gain access.
- Animals like raccoons can pull off just about any vent cover if they so wish, so close them up and inspect your home regularly.
- Install chimney caps on your fireplace.
- Clear fruit from around trees that has fallen—Do not leave it there!
- Finally…Stop feeding the animals! If you continue to put food out for animals, they have good reason to set up shop on your property.
- Soak a rag in ammonia and place the rag in or on the trash cans or buildings where you are having problems. The smell will discourage repeat visits.
- Moth balls placed inside of trash cans also help and achieve the same results. Moth balls will need to be replaced weekly.
Check out our recent posts to see recent removal of these unwanted animals! Nuisance Animals: Trapped!
Nuisance animals like raccoons love to invade homes and garbage cans. They easily adapt to our environment. They are nocturnal, meaning that most of their activity is at night. These animals may sometime be seen during the day because food may be available and they may no longer have a fear of humans, especially if you haven’t stopped feeding them. Animals like skunks and raccoons will dig under your foundation and establish a den where they will nest and raise young. Typically, you will smell skunks, but may not detect raccoons. The main concern with these animals other than destroying your home or property is Rabies. Rabies is a deadly disease that can be contracted by any mammal. It’s most common in bats, raccoons, foxes, and skunks, and is passed along to others through nervous tissue saliva and Rabies is no joke. If you hire someone to handle your nuisance animal problem, make sure they have the proper trapping licenses. The Bug Man has Louisiana Department of Agriculture licensed trappers for animal removal or eradication. We are currently seeing animals such as raccoons, squirrels, possum, snakes, birds, bats, moles, beaver, nutria and foxes. We have many different methods and resources available to control nuisance animal infestations such as trapping, removal, chemical deterrence and sound devices while also offering odor control for unwanted animal scent at a property. We hope you enjoyed reading our blog. Until Next time! Remember, if you suspect you are having an issue, call The Bug Man and keep your peace of mind intact.
You’ve got our Bug Man Guarantee!
Thanks for checking out our blog.
See you soon.
The Bug Lady,